Founded in 1917, Forest Park is one of Louisiana's premiere cemeteries, with more than 35,000 residents amongst its 134 acres
C.W. Hughes and Stephen W. Griffith, from Marshalltown, Iowa, were the founders of Forest Park Cemetery - East; however, the property was insolvent during the Great Depression. Recognizing the need for a cemetery of substantial size to serve the city's booming population, the Rasberry family, a local Shreveport family, purchased the cemetery. Their vision was to create surroundings that balanced nature with the environment, allowing a presence of civilization without disturbing the grandeur of the romantic setting.
From the first burial of 14-year-old Frederick Lanier Boanno in 1919, Forest Park was designed to serve both the dead and the living. It is the burial site of nine Shreveport mayors, Representative T. Overton Brooks, Senator Rose McConnell Long, General Gabrielle P. Disosway, pioneer oilman William Douglas, international sculptor Arthur C. Morgan, writer John William Corrington, architect N.S. Allen, and Lt. Commander Edward H. Railsback, the most decorated soldier in the history of Louisiana